Monday 11 March 2013

What have I been doing?!

It's been almost a full 9 months since my last post and a lot has happened in this period of time!
My blogging came to a hault last summer when I started my 3 month internship as a Post Production Assistant for the renowned photographer, Rankin.
During my time at Rankin, I learnt a lot across all departments and helped organise many of his exhibitions.
After a long summer of hard work, I managed to get a few weeks off before returning to university late September for my third and final year. It has come to no surprise that it's been stressful and even more hard work.
However, it began with a pleasant start with thanks to Canon UK. Canon invited students across the country to attend London Fashion Weekend and shoot the trend shows and selected designers in the photographers pit. All students were then encouraged to submit a portfolio of 5 images from each show towards Canon's 'shoot like a pro' competition, where you could win the opportunity to shoot the big London Fashion Week in February 2013 as an accredited photographer along with winning a pretty new 650d.
I submitted and thought nothing of it - I never win anything.

A month down the line, I get a phone call from university telling me I've won the LFWeekend competition. Of course, I thought they had got the wrong person but when a 650d turned up on my doorstep a few days later, It all started to really sink in.
I have since been featured on CPN Canon Professional Network, BBC Norfolk and my hometown's local newspaper. Everything all felt very surreal and it was ridiculous to see people take interest in my work.
London Fashion Week came round pretty quick, but that deserves a post of it's own!

Over the christmas holiday, I interned for Wonderland Magazine as a Fashion Intern. Wonderland was very different to my time at Rankin but it was brilliant to be on the fashion side of the editorials. Similarly to Rankin, my days were very long and sometimes did not arrive home until 10pm - which is hard work especially when you are an unpaid intern. However, I did get the honour of assisting for the renowned stylist Grace Cobb on her work for Elle US alongside my work for Wonderland.

On return to university in January, work got even more stressful thanks to my looming dissertation deadline. Thankfully that was handed in by late January, so I have since been able to focus on my practical work and experience.
February was a much happier month; I went down to London to be a photographic assistant for famous music photographer, Andy Earl and of course, my time at London Fashion Week.

When summarising my past year, it does look pretty fun but I can assure you, it's been a lot of hard work while continuing to become more stressful. It'll be all worth it in the end but the countdown to my final hand-in at uni is down to a mere 2 months. I'm now just looking forward to graduating, despite how sad it'll be to leave my Norwich friends, and start working in the industry.

PS - be sure to check out my website, it's gone under a few small changes.

No comments:

Post a Comment